Five Finger Vibrams vs Brooks Running Shoes
There is anecdotal evidence from almost cult-like groups supporting different kinds of running shoes. And to think just a few hundred years ago shoes were made the same for both feet! Today we will look into the research and the pros and cons of “barefoot” vs Brooks Mens Ghost 9 running shoes.
Five Finger Vibrams
Originally a company known for manufacturing boating shoes, Vibram has expanded into the running shoe game. Instantly recognisable, the Vibrams are a shoe you’ll have definitely noticed about. They have 5 individual sections for each toe making them the gloves of the feet. And with such small soles its about as close to barefoot running as you can get (without actually running with nothing on your feet). If you have been thinking of the switch for a while, make sure to take it slow to begin with to let your body get used to the change.
The company has even designed its own socks specially designed to fit the shoe. Not all of the socks are pink. We just thought they look the most interesting. These socks do serve another purpose as well. If you are suffering from blisters between the toes when running, they are widely said to help a lot. If you try these socks, be warned, we don’t thing you’ll be going back to a regular pair any time soon. Click on the image to check them out!
- Run a close to barefoot as you can without scuffing up your feet
- Improves your ability to land with the front of your foot
- You can wear a super funky socks that not many people will own
- Super light weight so improves running efficiency
- May mistakenly step on a larger shard of glass. That would hurt!
- You’d better run when its dry or be a fan of wet feet, these shoes offer little protection against water
Brooks Men’s Ghost 9
Brooks are a lesser known brand than the big names in sports – where Nike and Adidas seem to dominate. But one of the worlds most successful billionaires, Mr Warren Buffet has invested in them – a man notoriously accurate for being right.
The Ghost 9’s are the newest model in the Ghost range and this pair has been given a complete upgrade. The tread in the soles has been decreased compared to the 8’s meaning the shoes have a lesser bite. However, this decreased friction with the road makes for easier long distance runs (with enough tread for a sprint finish). The biggest change is the brand new seamless mesh that now encloses the foot. Along with a more spacious toe cap for a more comfortable feel.
- Warren buffet himself supports this brand!
- Provides more cushioning to protect those knees
- Normal running shoes are trusted by a vast majority of the community
- Toes are unable to remove freely within the shoe
- With the increased weight you running times can suffer very slightly
So for us we go with the super funky socks and the Brook 9’s. What do you choose?